Popular Posts

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Jacob Imprinting on Renesme:The End and Loss of Representation





Nothing to do with paedaphilia
Nothing to do with sex

Nothing to do with taking Edward's daughter from him

Stephenie Meyer has fictionalized one of the major Foucauldian "cuts" in Western thinking. The end of representation:in language;science;economics;art;music;history;sex

Everything inside me came undone as I stared at the tiny porceline face of the half-vampire, half human baby. All the lines that held me to my life were sliced apart in swift cuts, like clipping the strings to a bunch of balloons. Everything that made me who I was __ my love for the dead girl upstairs, my love for my father, my loyalty to my new pack, the love for my other brothers, my hatred for my enemies, my home, my name, my self__disconnected from me in that second__snip,snip, snip__and floated up into space.

I was not drifting. A new string held me where I was.

Not one string, but a million. Not strings, but steel cables. A million steel cables all tying me to one thing__to the very center of the universe.

I could see that now__how the universe swirled around this one point. I'd never seen the symmetry of the universe before, but now it was plain. 
The gravity of the earth no longer tied me to the place where I stood.
It was the baby girl in the blond vampire's arms that held me here now.
Renesmee. (BD 360)

It would seem that Meyer is saying that the only tie is love. At the same time she is quoting Orson Scott Card:

Personal affection is a luxury you can have only after
all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone
  you love is a hostage, sapping your courage
and corrupting your judgment

 Orson Scott Card
 Empire

The balloon ties are "cut" from their origins, floating up into the air, filled with a lighter than air substance, helium, - read "hot air" - empty balloons, empty signs, signs "float free" referring only to other signs. "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I detail it here. It's pretty simple and sound-bitey so don't be afraid. Lots of pics.

This puts Jacob in simulated reality,, no referents, just "floating signs" i.e. images :

Such would be the successive phases of the image.
it is the reflection of a profound reality;
it masks and denatures a profound reality;
it masks the absence of a profound reality;
it has no relation to any reality whatsoever: it is its own pure simulacrum...
The transition from signs that dissimulate something to signs that dissimulate that there is nothing marks a decisive turning point. The first reflects a theology of truth and secrecy (to which the notion of ideology still belongs.) The second inaugurates the era of simulacra and of simulation, in which there is no longer a God to recognize his own, no longer a Last Judgment to separate the false from the true, the real from its artificial resurrection...(Baudrillard Simulacra and Simulation)


And the above applies to all of Rob's images and papp pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind to each other even when you disagree.